The misconceptions of buying a car at auction for less
Are you thinking of swapping your car? If so, you might be toying with the idea of chancing your arm and trying to grab a bargain at auction. While it is possible to get a great deal at a car auction, it's wise to proceed with caution. There are risks linked to bidding on a vehicle. Here's a useful guide to highlight the potential perils of buying a car at auction.
The misconceptions of buying a car for less at auction
Many people consider going to an auction to look for a car as a means of saving money. Auction prices vary hugely, but charges that are lower on paper might not be what they seem. There is a misconception that buying at auction saves you a fortune. Unfortunately, in many cases, this is not true.
There are several potential pitfalls to be wary of when buying at auction, including:
- Extra fees and hidden charges: when you go to a dealership and you ask for a quote for a car, you'll be presented with a figure and an itemised invoice. At auction, the system is different, and you'll need to pay fees and charges, some of which you might not have been aware of before you started bidding. Fees can bump up the cost significantly.
- Basic checks only: if you're looking for used cars in Birmingham, it's natural to want to make sure that you're not going to be spending a fortune on repairs in a month's time. The trouble is that many listings at auction feature the words ""basic checks only.' Buying a car that hasn't been tested rigorously can increase the risk of ending up with a huge repair bill further down the line.
- Sold ""as is': some people are looking for a cheap run-around, and they don't mind buying ""as is' to secure a bargain. If you're looking for a reliable vehicle that will stand the test of time and transport you and your family from A to B safely, it's wise to avoid buying a vehicle ""as seen.' This means that if there are issues that you didn't spot at the auction, you have no legal rights to appeal to the seller or to claim any money back from the purchase. An ""as is' description can mask all kinds of problems.
- Warranties: when you buy a car from a reputable garage, you'll be covered by a warranty. This is not the case when purchasing vehicles at auction.
- Paying over the odds: auctions tend to bring out the competitive nature of human beings. If you get embroiled in a bidding battle, you may end up paying over the odds.
Buying from a reputable dealer
Buying from a reputable dealer Auctions can be exhilarating, and there is a chance of picking up a bargain, but it's wise to buy from a reputable dealer. Whether you're looking for used cars in Solihull or you're searching for a brand new motor, choosing a reliable garage will provide peace of mind and it could also save you a lot of money in the long-run, as warranties and full checks are included.
Before you head to an auction, consider the risks carefully and explore all your options. If you want to buy from a reputable Garage, look no further than Motor Serv UK Solihull. We supply only Cars that have been fully checked and tested at our own state of the art workshop, and all our Cars come with warranties and you can even buy an ongoing Service package to suit your needs. Ring: 0121 405 0702 for full details in sourcing your next New or Used Car deal.
Used BMWs - Purchasing Top-Tips
The reliability of BMW has been criticised in the past, however, this point could be said for all car manufacturers if the owner does not properly maintain the car. As BMW are a higher end model of car, with proper maintenance they should be a long-lasting investment. To ensure optimum reliability from used BMWs, the owner should be taking all measures to ensure the car runs smoothly, this could include -
- MOTs done on time.
- Full Service History.
- Changing Oil frequently based on time and mileage.
- Fixing any problems promptly after discovery e.g. Electronic Issues.
When purchasing a used BMW, the buyer should focus on the budget they are setting for the new purchase. This budget should be long-term and not just the amount the car costs based on the cars maintenance needs. Firstly, a model should be selected that is comfortably within the price range, so that any unexpected costs will not take the buyer out of their budget. Different models will encounter a variety of costs. The buyer should consider the running cost of each model to calculate the long-term costs of owning that particular model. This means that the buyer will not purchase a used car that they can buy immediately, but cannot afford to run in the long term. Selling an old car can help with budgeting for a new purchase. It is important for the buyer to have sorted their finance prior to the consideration of a new car purchase.
Examples of running costs are -
- Tyre prices and durability
- Regular maintenance
- â€¢ Insurance Costs.
Market prices are constantly changing in the world of used car purchasing. Visit Motorserv - UK Cars for competitive prices when buying a used car. If help is needed budgeting for the purchase of a Used BMW then take a look at Motorserv-UK's finance options.
When selecting a model of used BMW, the buyer should consider their uses for the car and its level of practicality in accordance with their lifestyle. Buyers should consider certain aspects of their life and how different components of a car will adapt to their daily lives. Topics of consideration include, family size, boot size, accessibility, and efficiency. Some examples of BMW models and their suitability are as follows -
Family Cars - BMW SUV range - BMW Saloons and Touring models
- Spacious - Large boot capacity
- Fuel Efficient - Less money spent on fuel
- 4 & 5 Door models - Easily accessible for car seats and buggies
- Perfect for large families or families with small children
Sporty Models - BMW Z4, 2 Series, 4 series, 8 Series, and Bmw i8
- Available in Coupe or some as Convertibles
- Compact designs for the Class.
- Higher horsepower generally.
- Better for couples with small toddlers or without children or owned by an individual driver.
SUVs - BMW X Range.
- Some models can be specified as Front wheel or All-wheel drive.
- Spacious cabins.
- Good ground clearance.
- Larger designs.
Used Ford - Purchasing Top-Tips
When it comes time to buy a used vehicle it is not a quick process. There is so much to consider. Even if you have decided what make of vehicle you want. Then you need to decide what model you want. After that, you need to find the right one to buy.
What model of Ford do you want?
So, you've decided that you are looking for a Used Ford in Birmingham. Have you chosen which model you want yet? Let's face it, there is plenty of choices. Picking the right one is going to be different for each of you. Consider your needs and what you'll use the vehicle for. If you are looking for a small car to get around town then you might want to look at a Ford KA or Ford Fiesta. Perhaps you need something a little bigger for the family or for long-distance driving? There is the Ford C-Max, S-Max, Focus, or Mondeo.
Private Sale or Dealership?
The next decision you'll likely face is whether you want to buy from a private seller or from the Trade. The usual benefit of buying a car privately is the cost. You will normally pay less through a private purchase in comparison to a dealer or trader. However, a trade source is more likely to offer peace of mind. It can even work out cheaper in the long run as the vehicle should last longer. Trade retailed cars, will be more likely to have a service history. Most Retail cars are even offered with a warranty, even on used vehicles. You will also get receipts and proof of purchase.
Condition of the vehicle
You may now know that you want a Ford, you know what model, you want, you know that you want to buy one from the Trade. How do you get the right car? At Motorserv UK we offer a Car Sourcing service. Let us take the hard work on for you. We will look for a vehicle with the right mileage, that comes with service history, and that is in good condition. As an MOT and Servicing Centre, and a professional car retailer, we can make sure the car is in top condition and we inspect every Car at our very own Workshop facility here in Solihull. Feel free to get in touch with us today about our Car Sourcing and let us find the right vehicle for you.
What else should I consider?
There are more factors to consider when buying a used Ford in Birmingham. Keeping your Ford car in good condition is important, not only to keep it running and in good condition, but if the time comes to sell the car on, you will want to make sure the service history is kept up to date. Therefore it would be a good idea to ask us about the ongoing Service costs for the Car, and how our Gold Membership packages work!
Contact Motorserv-UK Cars
Motorserv-UK Cars are always happy to help with any issues or queries regarding the purchase or selling of used cars. Motorserv-UK Cars provide a wide selection of high quality used BMWs and can source Cars to spec.
If there are any questions or help needed to aid the buying process, then contact Motorserv-UK Cars today!
Follow our blog for latest news events and offers.
For more information, please fill in the form below making sure that it's accurate and complete. An accurate email address is required for us to communicate the results of your enquiry.